Wednesday, March 22, 2006

N.A.I.S

My pal Kathy, (who does her own style of rural ramblings here.) has sent me a nice chunk of info about the National Animal Identification System and how it would affect the small timers such as ourselves. I. Don't. Like. This. At. All.

It's rather long and I'm hesistant to post it here on the main page because of that.
I would really like to be able to give it it's own page with a link on the main page here. I know it can be done, I've seen other Blogger blogs that do that, but I. R. Dumm on just how to do that and Blogger Help isn't in this case. So, if anyone who uses Blogger and has the secret to this, couldja please help a sistah out here?
Much 'preciated!

Here's a few blurbs from the email, just so's you can understand my concern:

Every person who owns even one horse, cow, pig, chicken, sheep, or virtually any livestock animal, will be forced to register his or her home, including owner's name, address and telephone number, and then be keyed to global positioning system (GPS) coordinates for satellite monitoring in a giant federal database under a 7-digit "premises ID number."

And then there's this cute little fun fact:

Third parties, such as veterinarians, will be required to report "sightings" of animals. In other words, if you call a vet to your property to treat your horse, cow or any other animal, and the vet finds any animal without the mandatory 15-digit computer-readable ID, the vet may be required to report you. If you do not comply, the USDA will exercise "enforcement" against you. The USDA has not yet specified the nature of "enforcement," but presumably it will include imposing fines and/or seizing your animals. The plan permits no exceptions-under the USDA plan, you will be forced to register and report even if you raise animals only for your own food or keep horses for draft or for transportation


This is not a hokey-chicken little-disproved-by-Snopes type email. This is legit! The USDA is fine tuning this and is in the first stages of rolling this out. This is a major BIG DEAL. And I'm mad now, Eddie!

10 Comments:

Blogger Joubert said...

Charlton Heston said: "They'll have to pry my gun out of my cold dead hands."

I say, they'll have to get to my chickens and other critters over my dead body.

I notice your link to me. I will return the compliment. Thank you.

3/22/2006 6:20 PM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Thank you, Pat!
I've been reading your blog and we have a lot in common. We're smack dab in the middle of nowhere too. The rural life ain't for everyone, but it suits me.
I just liked your blog so much I had to add it to my favorites.

"When chickens are outlawed, only outlaws will have chickens!"

3/22/2006 9:21 PM  
Blogger Cobalt Blue said...

To link: highlight the text you wish to be an active link. Then click on the little icon in the post-editor's menu bar that has what looks like a pair of chain links. That will prompt you to enter the URL of the place you want to link to. Enter the URL and hit OK. You are done.

Does that make sense?

3/22/2006 9:31 PM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Sorry if you misunderstood, links I got down, sorta.
What I want to do is have a whole page, created here about this subject, using the info that was sent to me. A type of sub-blog,you might say. A seperate post, by itself. Not clogging up the main page. Much like Bluto did with the Armanda info page on his blog.
Oh heck, maybe we're just confusing each other even more!
I think I have an inkling on how to do this. I'll have to play around and hope I don't spazz Blogger into eating the whole thing!
BTW, love your artwork, dude!

3/22/2006 9:47 PM  
Blogger Joubert said...

Well, thanks Viscountess or should I say Your Grace?

I'm not sure what you were getting at with this: "I would really like to be able to give it it's own page with a link on the main page here."

I can't figure out Blogger's version but did you see how Jarhead John has two blogs. The second one is called "The rest is here" or something like that. I'm thinking of pinching his idea.

3/23/2006 12:32 AM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Oh Goodness, Pat-We only use such formalities at special grand affairs of state, such as when beer is served in glass bottles and I actually have to wear panty hose. (and shoes!) Folks 'round here just know me as Liz Mac.

Yep, I'm thinking along the same lines as you, with Blogger it would appear you would have to create a new blog to house any long articles.I'm familiar with Jarhead John's blog(s) and I see what you're saying.I could just post the darn thing, but it is a very long article,citing chapter & verse of the new regs. and gets into the constitutionality of it and so on. It would scroll on & on on the main page and aggravate some, who aren't interested. (altho they should be!) After a day or so it would disapear from the homepage and be archived and then I could link to it from there. But, I just thought there was a fairly easy way to stuff it somewhere on this blog first, without doing all that I mentioned, but probably not...what do ya want for free, eh?
I 'preciate the ideas, it's helping me to figure out a solution!
I may just do the new blog thang for it. Arrrgh-one more thing to keep track of!

3/23/2006 8:05 AM  
Blogger Joubert said...

Liz Mac, there is an easy way to do it on one blog but I'm too scared because it involves changing somthing on the template and I'm computer illiterate and scared I'll destroy the whole thing.

3/23/2006 10:52 AM  
Blogger Joubert said...

Or you could back date it and hide it off the current page in the archives and link to it.

3/23/2006 10:55 AM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Bingo! Pat, that's just it.
I know just enough about monkeying with the templates here to get me into trouble.

3/23/2006 11:01 AM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Oh! Yeah! I could try that!
Thank You, Pat!
"Brilliant!" as they say in those Guiness ads.
Man...it was right in front of my face. Just needed a clearer head to point it out! Thanks again!!
OK...got some work to do.

3/23/2006 11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home