Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Green Eggs!! (...no ham)


Have some little Aracuna hens who are just starting to lay eggs this season. It's always a guessing game as to what color their eggs will be when they first start.
These guys are also marketed as the Easter Egg chicken because of the weird coloration of the shells. It can be just a faint pink/tan color, almost like regular brown eggs, almost a sky blue, a pale teal or a near avocado green. In the past I have had ones who gave the pinky color and sky blue...never green. Always wanted the green, just cuz it's weird and cool, in my mind.

This afternoon I heard some ruckus in the henhouse-the sound of a hen cackling that "I just laid an egg!" noise. Since I had noticed one of the virgin Aracunas marching in there earlier and scoping out a nesting box I had to go and see what color she popped out. It just had to be her in there throwing such a fit.

Huzzah! At long last...a tiny but decidedly quite green egg! I appreciate small joys like this. This has just made my day! So naturally I had to take a pic and show off.
I set a couple of "regular" eggs alongside from my other hens as comparison.

She will continue to lay green eggs for life. To my knowledge, the shell color is predetermined in the genes and no addition or monkeying with diet will change it.
I've got at least 2 more Aracunas who haven't begun to lay eggs yet...dare I hope for a green trifecta?

5 Comments:

Blogger Joubert said...

My neighbors have Auracanas. I had never seen green eggs till the dfirst time I had to take care of their farm while they were away.

3/28/2006 3:07 PM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Pretty freaky, huh? I just wonder what in their lineage makes them do that. Eggs of unusual hues are not out of the ordinary in the wild with birds. (robin's eggs come readily to mind)
But that's a consistant color, in this breed you can have a wide range of color from hen to hen.

Hope you're feeling a little better.
Not be a Mom or nuthin', but those Zicam products really work for us! Of course, in your case it's too late-ya gotta start that stuff as soon as you feel just a little 'off'.
Keep warm, lots of fluids and rest is about all ya can do now. (oh yeah, and a shooter of Nyquil now and then don't hurt, either!)

3/29/2006 7:46 AM  
Blogger Joubert said...

I'm fine now. Thanks, Liz. I did the Afrikaner cure last night - go bed with a bottle of brandy and a hat. Drink the brandy. When you see two hats, you're cured.

I've never heard of Zicam. I must check it out.

3/29/2006 10:25 AM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Your homecure sounds much more fun than Zicam!
Glad you're up and at 'em!

3/29/2006 10:30 AM  
Blogger Kathy Keller said...

That egg is beautiful.

Signed, A Fellow Appreciator of the Small Joys :-)

3/29/2006 1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home