Friday, June 16, 2006

Upgrade Anxiety

Right now I'm downloading a new version of a web design program I use. Making websites is one of the ways to trickle cash into the Republic here. I absolutely love this software, cuz it's just about fool-proof...even for an idjet like me, but in order to upgrade I had to un-install the previous software. Therein is my anxiety. As much as I love these guys and their tech support, sometimes the geeks at the helm aren't real good at explaining things. I think I have followed their some what confusing instructions to the nearest letter I could. But when it comes to fiddling with the brain of my 'puter I need someone to take the Mr. Rogers approach with me and gently and simply walk me through it.
I've saved all my project files to my disk in another location, and saved my ftp info as they suggested and with a huge knot in my stomach, I've uninstalled the old version. Now we wait. It's almost done downloading.
My "day job" may come to a screeching halt here any minute... oh please work!!!


Later: OMG, it worked! No lost files (yet) and the program fires up bingo-bango! I like the new features...those will help. Whew!! All my current projects opened up just fine...I just have to tell the new software where to find any graphics that got moved prior to uninstall. Simple enough.
I hate trying to play geek...but I'm always so tickled when I do manage not to screw something up!

5 Comments:

Blogger Joubert said...

Hooray!

6/16/2006 2:12 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Yeah, that sort of thing can be really scary. You never know what may happen when you start messing around with the poor pc's "brains." I've found that out a couple of times myself.

Glad it worked out for you. Didn't know you designed Websites! Impressive! :)

6/16/2006 6:55 PM  
Blogger juanitagf said...

Don't ya love it when a plan comes together!

6/18/2006 12:15 AM  
Blogger SecondComingOfBast said...

Just curious, have you ever heard of something called Blender? It's suppossed to be something you can download for free, and is suppossed to be useful in creating web-sites, using various animation techniques. I think it is http://www.blender.org, if not I can send you the right URL, or you can probably Google it.

6/19/2006 1:22 PM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Thanks, Mr. Pagan ; )
Their site is down but from what I could gather reading other bits about them, it would appear it's a animation program. My clients are just regular info type sites. No bells & whistles.
But I'll keep it in mind in case I do wish to venture into that.

6/19/2006 1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home