Sunday, January 08, 2006

Color Me Clueless...

This past week I've been re-working a website. Coming up with a new look for the new year I guess. For no apparent reason I went with an orange background and I must say, in my own ignorant way, I really like it! This has led me to wonder if there's something more going on here. Why we like the colors that we do or why we chose one color over another or control someone subliminally with it. So, a-Googling I go!
Found alot about color and the 'secret' meanings and how color affects a web design and so on.
Thought this bit from a site was interesting :

Orange
Orange combines the energy of red and the happiness of yellow. It is associated with joy, sunshine, and the tropics. Orange represents enthusiasm, fascination, happiness, creativity, determination, attraction, success, encouragement, and stimulation.
To the human eye, orange is a very hot color, so it gives the sensation of heat. Nevertheless, orange is not as aggressive as red. Orange increases oxygen supply to the brain, produces an invigorating effect, and stimulates mental activity. It is highly accepted among young people. As a citrus color, orange is associated with healthy food and stimulates appetite. Orange is the color of fall and harvest. In heraldry, orange is symbolic of strength and endurance.

Considering all those wonderful attributes, I guess it's no surprize then that I went with orange!
And it may explain why I can't seem to get away from working on it! I just feel so damn happy laying out the pages and time just whizzes by. How weird, huh?
But in my search I came across a few clunkers. This page gives pointers and insight into color, but it's so hideously laid out who can stick around long enough to read the whole thing? Ow! My eyes!! Strangely enough at the bottom of the page is a link : "Some web design guidelines"
No Thanks! I'll pass after seeing what y'all think is perfectly ok in design.
Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta get back to orangeville...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home