Wednesday, June 21, 2006

If the World Ends Next Week...

Don't say I didn't give ya a heads up.

"On May 8, an unknown person posted a message to Craigslist addressed to “Mein Fraulein” with a telephone number to call in the message. When called, an automated message began reading off a sequence of numbers, similar to shortwave numbers stations which have been used since the Cold War by intelligence agencies to communicate with agents in the field."

Homeland Stupidity is on the mystery and trying to crack the code. There's been 4 messages to date, all in different Craiglist cities.
Since I don't know jack about cryptology, I leave it at that. But it does make for some interesting reading. They do have sound bits of the actual recording that is heard when you call the number listed, ( a series of numbers in a certain sequence and music playing) but that kinda stuff creeps me out in the wee hours of the night, so I didn't listen.

All the messages are addressed to "Mein Fraulein"...

Hmmmm, first Hitler cats, then Lem's post about homeschooling and Nazi Germany...and now this. I'm seeing a pattern!

Dangit! What'd I do with that Ronco Enigma gizmo I got for my birthday a while back?!

3 Comments:

Blogger Gayle said...

Weird!

I don't know anything about cryptology either, and maybe I'm paranoid, but I would never call a phone number that showed up from a source of that nature. Who knows what they are up to?

Yep... I'm definitely a bit paranoid, but better safe than sorry. There have been numbers left on people's answering machines to call and you will recieve "blah blah blah". So you call the number and a horrendous amount of money is charged to your phone bill. Nope... I only call when I know the person I'm calling.

6/21/2006 8:27 AM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

The fact that Homeland Stupidity claims that the NSA has visited their site and downloaded the recordings is interesting.

That either means A) NSA is doing their job and checking out ANY possible threats no matter how insignificant or farfetched. Nothing to be alarmed about.

Or B) The NSA must think it's valid enough to warrant investigation. Maybe we do need to be concerned.

The choice you make would depend on the snugness of your tin foil hat.
: )

6/21/2006 11:28 AM  
Blogger Lemuel Calhoon said...

This could be a terrorist organization coordinating cells in various cities for a strike. Or it could be two crypto geeks having a bit of fun.

But money is being spent to set all this up so it probably isn't two high school nerds.

College punks with rich parents would be my guess, or Osama bin Laden. One or the other.

6/21/2006 8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home