Friday, October 20, 2006

Fifth Sign of the Impending Apocalypse


Oh, My God! Say it ain't so, Joe!

The Pink Flamingo factory is closing down!!!
Oh, the HUMANITY!!!!!!

This is all that evil BushiltlerRoveianEconomicControlMachineCabalComglomerate's fault-I just know it!

"The pink plastic flamingo, a Florida-inspired icon that has been reviled as kitschy bad taste and revered as retro cool, is dead at age 49.

The pop culture symbol met its demise after its manufacturer, Union Products, of Leominster, Mass., was socked with a triple economic threat -- increases in costs of electricity and plastic resin combined with loss of financing. Production ended in June, and the plant is scheduled to close Nov. 1, according to president and CEO Dennis Plante. Union Products made 250,000 of its patented plastic pink flamingos a year in addition to other garden products."

Read the rest of the obit here at the Sun-Sentinel.

I'm sorry folks, but this is just too devestating for me. I have to go lay down.

Alas! Dear Pinky...we hardly knew ye!

4 Comments:

Blogger white trash republican said...

Fish,
I always considered them to be the most lamest, dorkiest thing that we as a great nation ever produced-so naturally, I had to have a small flock of them on my yard back in California!

I still have an unusually large, non-typical one that I liberated from a miniture golf course slated for demolition one nite while out on a drunken youthful spree. Poor thing sits in a corner of my barn, longing for it's return to the sunlight but fearing theft, I must keep it undercover.

10/20/2006 9:55 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I am so sorry, Sweety! Death is so... uh... permanent! Sob! I understand that the Pink Flamingo is like a pet, and pets are like part of our families. Your pink flamingoes are part of your family but now, with the company gone, they cannot breed! They've been neutered! Horrors!

My sympathy lies with you; may you recover quickly.

10/20/2006 9:00 PM  
Blogger John R said...

A friend in upstate NY kept his flock of pink flamingos in the celler, until the temperature got below zero. Sub-zero mornings saw his flock start to emerge in the front yard, each day below zero, more emerged. Best use of a pink flamingo I have seen.

10/23/2006 8:08 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

The death of an American icon is so tragic. You're wise to keep your 'baby' safe, because Lord knows people with good taste will be scrambling for these treasures.
R.I.P Big Pink Bird

10/23/2006 8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home