Thursday, October 12, 2006

Decision Altitude


Well, November is creeping up fast and I have yet to make a decision.
No, silly, I ain't talking about elections. Anyone who knows me knows I would crawl across broken glass, voter i.d. card at the ready, to get to the polls. (I did once walk the 3 miles of rough as a cob Ozark dirt roads to get there when the Mommobile was ailing many years ago. Not braggin', just fact.)

Nope, I'm talking about this annual foray into utter craziness, The National Novel Writing Month.

My pal, Kathy, talked me into this last year and it was quite an experience. Simple concept- starting Nov. 1st you have the entire month to crank out a 50,000 word story. No prizes, no fame, no recognition- you're just doing it because you can.
Last year I finished with a few days to spare at about 50,178 words and the ever so rough beginning of a potentially amusing work of fiction. (Well, I thought so anyway.)

So now I must decide if I wanna try it again. Maybe keep hammering away at what I had already started, my little tale is languishing unfinished in my hard drive. It was grueling and some days difficult to stay on task. I had to manage my time wisely, since I'm the only quasi-responsible human here, and had other pressing things to do...like make sure my kids were fed, laundry done, bills paid...y'know, all that crap. Once you get going and find your groove and plotline it can easily consume your time.
But in retrospect, I really did enjoy the challenge. Just don't know if I wanna go through all that again.

But I really do need to finish that story...

2 Comments:

Blogger Lemuel Calhoon said...

How many pages does 50,000 words turn out to be (single spaced)?

10/12/2006 1:36 PM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Don't hold me to this, but I think it's about 175 pages-which is just barely a "novel" in the usual sense, probably closer to a novella or really long short story.
This very point is often debated on the NaNoWriMo forums.
Either way...50,000 words in 30 days is an achievement, no matter what you choose to call it!

10/12/2006 2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home