Thursday, October 05, 2006

Nice Try, Guys, But....

Note to the folks at TerrorFreeOil.org:

The other day I came acrossed one of your comments on another blog. Sure, it was pure spammy self promotion, since it really had no bearing on the post you were "commenting" on- but I was intrigued. You do have a catchy web addy afterall and the offer for free blog corner banner was, to me, worth checking out.

Wow! What a wonderful array and choices of corner banners! Someone had spent alot of time on this. I immediately saw the one I just had to have. Did as instructed, copy the line of code and merrily skipped back to the backroom of my blog to shove the code in the spot you suggested.

Oh, the horror...the horror.

I was agast at the preview screen. Sure, the corner banner looked all bitchen and cool BUT it had totally wonked out the template! Now I've done lots of tweaking on my template over the years, simple modest changes and additions, so this ain't my first rodeo. I kinda knew what I was doing. And I know that sometimes (rarely) in Blogger, the preview isn't always 100% WYSIWYG. So, I decided to give y'all the benefit of a doubt and went ahead and hit the 'save template changes' button and republished.

Nope...it wasn't a quirk in the Blogger preview. Your code totally fuggered up my site!


Yikes! It took on the look of a Reader's Digest Large Print edition!! How on earth your little single line of code managed to hijack the font size and even the font style and color is beyond my ken, I'm only a demi-geek. I can do html if I absolutely have to and monkey with the other lingos out there if necessary, but this one has me stumped...and kinda pissed. I reverted the template back to my original and dumped your banner.

And you know what? I'm bummed too, because after strolling about your site I decided that y'all really do have a noble & novel cause and I was fully prepared to do a post hawking your cause and pointing folks to your site so they too could learn more and cop a banner or 2.

But not now.


I'm not even gonna link ya on this post. That's how dismayed I am.

As I said above, someone did alot of work on those banners-at the very least they could have checked to make sure it worked CORRECTLY on other blog formats. That's Web Graphics 101. I see that on your site you guys have a blog that uses a modified version of the very same Blogger template I use and even yours is screwed up like mine was!
Maybe you're ok with the "minor" distortions of the fonts. Me? No way. This blog is my online house. And just like my own physical home, I don't hang up a new picture on a wall and expect it to change the entire wall color! That's nuts.
And so is the code in your banners.
So for now, I'm advising my friends and neighbors to steer clear of all your promotional graphics until you get that little issue fixed.

Oh and here's another little clue....DON'T SPAM OUR SITES! That's really rude. If you want to win us over to your cause, please take the extra minute or 2 to type a REAL LIVE comment, and go right ahead and add your link to it. We wouldn't mind that at all. But just blanketing the blogs with with your commercial is sooooooo '90's. It's basic marketing: don't alienate your base right out of the gate!

Quid pro quo, and all that, y'all. Be more 'blog friendly' and then we'll talk.

4 Comments:

Blogger Joubert said...

The same thing happened to me when I added a Friends of Israel corner banner to my blog. Exact same - huge text etc. I removed it and put a regular banner on my sidebar.

I don't think it has to do with their code but has to do with combining a corner banner with our kind of template - where it fits inside the template could skew everything below it.

10/06/2006 6:15 PM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

I dunno, Patrick-I'm almost certain I have seen Blogspot blogs with corner banners and the layout looks fine.
They added a couple that were labeled for Blogger recently and I tried one of those and the same dang thing happened, only it fit snugger and didn't cover up the blogger bar at the top as the previous one did.
Man, I just want a corner banner! It's my Daisey Red Ryder b-b gun. ; )

10/06/2006 6:39 PM  
Blogger lilfeathers2000 said...

I saw that site and stuff. Man I am glad I didn't try to add on of those.
I have enough trouble with making more for myself.
Thanks for the tip.

10/07/2006 11:05 AM  
Blogger Joubert said...

Liz, I've seen corner banners on other Blogger blogs too but not the same as our template.

10/07/2006 9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home