Friday, April 06, 2007

Speaking of 'Sick as a Dog'...

Paranoia is running rampant over the latest pet food recalls, and rightly so. And even though most of the problems have been with "wet" foods those of us who feed dry to our family companions are getting a little 'noid too, waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's already happened in the cat food, a dry brand recently being pulled from the shelves.

So what's one to do? Patrick the Born Again Redneck Yogi has mentioned that he feeds his "chil'ren" homemade food and scraps. That's fine if you have one or 2 small to medium size doggies but the thought (and expense) of whipping up a weeks worth of raw chow for my trio of behemoths is discouraging. These guys all weigh in at over 75 pounds each! (and yes, every single one thinks he's a 'lap dog'!)

So I've been researching dry feed manufacturers and found these guys. I'm going with them for now mainly because the only ingredients they use are domestic, mostly from the Arkansas Delta area. And 2) I've used their feed before with no problem and 3) the price is right...cheaper than the mainstream hoity toity brands that have been recalled.(and OUTSOURCE alot of their ingredients!)
I don't know if Arkat's products are available nationally, but it wouldn't hurt to check out their site and see.
They market primarily to feed&farm stores.

Just as an aside, am I the only one who got majorly creeped out when first hearing the news of a "toxic substance" in a pet food ingredient that was traced to an import from China because the implications of the HUMAN food supply being monkeyed with? Good Lord...do you have any idea of how much wheat gluten is used in almost all processed foods for human consumption?! I've heard noone commenting on that possibilty.
(note: I wrote this 2 days ago, and now it would seem the media is getting with the program and asking that question. I've read of a congressional investigation in the works about it as well. Finally an investigation I can be glad about!)


Looks like it's time to fire up that big garden in the back yard again...and get a bottle calf...or 2.

7 Comments:

Blogger Walker said...

Yes, I'm afraid that the biggest threat to humanity isn't two degrees on the thermometer, it's other humans. I'm thinking the garden thing would be prudent.

4/06/2007 10:32 AM  
Blogger Joubert said...

I haven't eaten any processed food in ages. I heard that they have traced that batch of Chinese wheat and found that none went into human food.

I haven't given my dogs any cooked food in ten years. My biggest dog weighs 75lbs. My four dogs have a combined weight of 145lbs. If there are no dead chicken bits for them, then I mix a dozen eggs into 2 lbs of cheap ($1 per lb) meat scraps from the butcher or 2 lbs of Jenny-O ground turkey and portion it out according to weight. It doesn't seem like a lot but they sometimes even leave some because it is so rich in protein.

If your three dogs weigh a combined total of 225lbs, then you would have to use 3 lbs of raw meat and 18 eggs. We get about 3 dozen eggs a day in summer and about a dozen and a half in winter so there's no shortage of eggs.

4/06/2007 12:09 PM  
Blogger Lemuel Calhoon said...

Thanks for the heads up on the "clean" dog food.

4/12/2007 3:27 PM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Wow, Patrick...that little amount of raw meat for all those doggies? I haven't even bothered to look up recipes because I was worried about the amount of scrap and burger I would have to get weekly. My "kids" ain't fat, nor spoiled(...much) and godnose we have enough eggs-(I've got about 4 doz. in the fridge right now!)I do treat 'em to eggs now and then.
I'll have to examine this topic further!

PS-that's a handsome pic of yerself you now have up.

4/12/2007 3:43 PM  
Blogger Joubert said...

I was also surprised at how little they need, Liz. At first I used to mix it with cooked rice because it seemed too little but eventually I dropped the rice and now the dogs hardly ever fart and they small better - even their breath smells cleaner. And they have lots more energy.

Are you really going to stop blogging?

4/13/2007 10:46 AM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

".. and now the dogs hardly ever fart.."
OMG! That alone is enough to sell me on the idea!! My lil' lab/pitt mix is a walking toxic dump, no matter what he eats, and there have been times when we all have had to leave the house for a few minutes 'til the air cleared...I kid you not! I can put up with some dang funky fumes, but that guy makes me nauseaous. It's horrid. Good thing he is so dang cute, I can overlook the nasty gas seepage.

And no, I'm not totally closing up shop, it's just that since getting back online I've had alot of family matters to tend to and it is spring now as well, there's alot I need to take care of down here on the farm. Ranting and raving is taking a backseat for now-seems I can't ever find the time or gumption. And as of late I feel like I've woke up in some whacked out parallel universe--everyone has gone mad, it seems. So my muse has packed up and went down to Tierra del Fuego for the time being, I think.( maybe they'll send a postcard!)
Who knows? I may get a big enough bug up my butt eventually, but now I just want to concentrate on the younguns and our future.

4/13/2007 11:06 AM  
Blogger Joubert said...

The thing about dogs and carbs is that they don't chew their food. Their teeth weren't built for chewing but for tearing and gulping meat. If carbs aren't chewed, they ferment in the bowels and build up gas.

Yep, I'll have to slow down blogging soon too - outside work to do.

4/13/2007 6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home