Thursday, October 11, 2007

Hope Springs Eternal!

My God, could it be possible that I may see high speed internet IN MY OWN HOME in my lifetime?!! (or at least in my children's lifetime?)

Blunt Works to Expand Rural Access to Current Technology
Governor Creates Rural High-Speed Internet Access Task Force with Executive Order

COLUMBIA – Gov. Matt Blunt today signed an executive order creating a new Rural High-Speed Internet Access Task Force that will identify opportunities to increase access to technology across the state. The governor signed the executive order at a telecommunications symposium held on the campus of the University of Missouri-Columbia.

“No Missourian should be left out of today’s technology based economy because of where they live,” Blunt said. “Expanding access to high-speed Internet in Missouri’s rural communities is an important step for economic development, agriculture and education. I have created the Rural High-Speed Internet Access Task Force to help ensure we are doing all we can to deliver current technology to the doorstep of every Missourian who wants it as quickly as possible.”

The governor’s new Rural High-Speed Internet Access Task Force is rooted in the fact that by combining the collective ideas of both the government and representatives of private industry, the technological needs of Missouri rural communities can be heard and solutions can be reached.



Yeah, I know for most of you in high density areas or in or close to major metropolitian cities this ain't jack, but for us podunks who have been far and in large left out of the tech revolution this is HUGE!
Those ATT ads with the chubby lil' brit/ozzie dork extolling upon the wonders of their wireless internet card saying that the internet can't hide any more are a standing joke in our house.
Yes...it can and does hide! In exactly a 2 mile radius around our home! I've checked on their site for availablity. And the further out one zooms you'll see that the entire region has shakey availabilty at best. But as for us, nothing. Nada, zip, nothing, black hole of Calcuttaville.

Satellite reception is our only option and the costs are ridiculous. I keep waiting for the cost to drop, but in the past 4 years it hasn't. So we languish at the mercy of dial-up. I ain't asking for much...I would just like to see videos like everyone else and get whatever work I do online in a much more timelier fashion.
I know that it was my choice to live out in the boonies and so I should expect some sacrifices, but really, folks, the technology is there...why can't we have it?

It's odd that I heard this story about the Gov.'s intentions this morning, just yesterday I spent a good chunk of time online looking into how one would start-up a small wireless network for profit in this area. It could be doable and I would be more than happy to pursue it. See a need, and fill it...ain't that the American way to prosperity?
But IR not 2 geeky. But damn! It would be a cool idea!

4 Comments:

Blogger Lemuel Calhoon said...

Your idea for starting up a wireless internet service may have come along at the best possible time. If the state government is going to start subsidizing such efforts. Contact your rep. in the state legislature and have him set one of his staff to collecting the information for you.

Play your cards right and you could find yourself with a couple of million in start-up money and a state protected monopoly.

10/11/2007 9:41 AM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

You read my mind, Lem!
I'm trying to formulate an almost intelligent letter to them at this moment.

As much as I depise any reason to latch onto any gov. tit, if I could find some sort of support for my mission, whether it be monetary or informative it would be worth the effort. But I really would like to do it with minimal tax payer dough if possible. That option wasn't even considered when I first looked into this.
I do have some disposible/investable cash on hand to throw at this. But wisely and prudently and only after extensive homework.

The only reason the local telco.'s have done nothing is because the base is so small. It's not profitable to them. But to a small person like myself, their piddling ROI that they turn their noses up at would be a kings ransom!

I would say out of every 5 homes in a 30 mi. radius, 3 to 4 of them have computers with internet. All on dial-up. And they currently pay anywhere from 10 to 30 dollars for that priviledge. If we could offer something within that price range and quicker and just as reliable...oh, my! And yes, I know the initial equipment costs would be huge. But I own 30 acres with a hilltop to put a modest tower on, so...

Sure, the customer base in that radius would only be about 3 to 400 homes. But it could be worth it.
(gee, can you tell I'm just alittle bit excited about this?)

10/11/2007 10:38 AM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

That was one of the worries when we moved here from Vegas. We're over 7 miles out of the nearest town, the county seat, and they only have a population of 1600. We learned the local phone company had a package deal that would give us the phone, a couple hundred cable channels for the television and DSL service for our computers for about 50 bucks a month. And now they're upgrading to fiber-optics. Better yet, it's a cooperative and I now get refunds each year because I'm part owner. So far in the 3½ years we've been here the service has been excellent. We lucked out.

10/12/2007 7:44 PM  
Blogger Lemuel Calhoon said...

Remember that the best kind of mony to invest in this kind of startup company is other people's money.

10/13/2007 11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home