Friday, November 23, 2007

The Morons of Black Friday

Parents Leave Child In Car While They Shop Overnight

HAGERSTOWN, Md. -- A Franklin County couple has been charged after leaving a young child in a car while they shopped.

Police said 20-year-old Laura Havens and her boyfriend, 22-year-old Casey Shields, left Havens' 2-year-old boy in a locked car while they shopped at the Prime Outlets in Hagerstown, Md.

The car was not running and police said the toddler was crying when they found him.

Investigators found the boy around 2:45 a.m. Friday. Police said there was no heat in the car and estimated it to be about 36 degrees at the time.

Jason Litten from the Washington County Sheriff's office said, "The child was found just wearing a T-shirt, blue jeans and no shoes, soaking wet. It was quite cold in the vehicle. He was shivering and quite scared."

The child was taken to Washington County Hospital for observation and released to a family member of the boyfriend.

Police said the mother gave no remorse for leaving the boy in the car and said she left him there because he was asleep.

She is charged with confining an unattended child. The boyfriend faces that charge along with possession of marijuana.


But hey, on the bright side, they got a wicked awesome deal on a plasma tv at Best Buy!!


I've never partakened of this retail feeding frenzy. It seems to have blossomed in the past 20 years that I have lived in the hills and therefor it's just too impractical for me. Yeah, like I'm gonna get up at 2 am, drive 80 miles in the friggin' dark and cold just to save 20 bucks on the latest gotta have gift of that season. Oh yeah...I'm so there- not! Besides, I hate shopping even under ideal conditions, this is just pure insanity in my opinion. I. just. don't. get. it.

My sis-in-law, on the other hand lives for Black Friday and she lives even farther from the big city than me!! Oy! She always brags afterwards about how much she saved on Christmas gifts. I'm thinkin' that this year any savings she might realize will be wiped out by total fuel costs involved in doing this bizarre modern ritual. 200 miles round trip for her.
Kinda like the old joke about selling the car for gas money.

Me? I'll just wait until a week or so before Christmas, like I always do. Sure the pickin's might be slim, but by then the stores are marking down like a crazy monkey, so what's the dif?

2 Comments:

Blogger Lemuel Calhoon said...

In these stories it is never the child's parents. It is always mom and mon's boyfriend or mom and step-dad or mom and she baby daddy.

11/23/2007 10:54 PM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

That wasn't my headline, I just copied it. My header would have said
"Spay/Neuter Candidates"!
By the sound of it, mom must leave Jr. in the car unattended a lot.
Damn, them babies can be inconvienient!

11/23/2007 11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home