Thursday, March 30, 2006

Another Bumpy Night Ahead, (and it was 25 years ago, today...)

Just a quickie before I close for the nite, we got some more whopper storms heading our way and I might have to batten down the hatches.

The evening news jogged my memory this evening. 25 years ago that nutjob Hinkley took a potshot at Ronnie the Popular. A wound that could have killed a lesser man at his age.
That's one of those frozen in time moments, like the Kennedy assasinations, most folks recall where the were when they heard Reagan had been shot.

I was just a pup, barely in my 20's, living with a bunch of other college kids in an older 3 bedroom house out in California that we all split the rent on.
I was working the late shift at a photo lab that contracted with Target and Walmart.It was our job to get these rolls of film developed, printed and shipped back to the right stores overnight.It was a good gig, one of the best jobs I ever had, really. I'd get home at dawn, stay up for a bit and then stick in the earplugs, pull the blinds in my room and try to get some sleep before I had to go back in at 9pm.
That day I was snoozing away, must have been about 2 or 3 in the afternoon when my boyfriend showed up began banging on the bedroom window, hollaring that the President had been shot.
Always being off by a day or so because of my shift, I thought he was April Foolin' me, hollar back at him to get lost and leemealone!
He kept insisting to be let in and no, he wasn't joking...turn on the TV!
I did and the both of us just stood there in stunned silence. WTF did they do that?
All kinds of speculation was going on. When we finally heard that he had done it for a chick...damn, I recall being even more pissed!
And of course, we all know that that day also caused Jim Brady to be seriously wounded, setting in motion what would become the Brady Bill.

So....where were you on that day?

4 Comments:

Blogger Lemuel Calhoon said...

I don't remember exactly what I was doing that day, but I do remember turning on the news and seeing it.

It was a bad day.

3/30/2006 10:45 PM  
Blogger Joubert said...

I was living in San Fran and was horrified that everyone was cheering and celebrating that Reagan had been shot. I just could not believe that peace-loving liberals could be so full of hate.

3/31/2006 10:11 AM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Curious, isn't it?
I bet they were just crestfallen when they found out that Hinkley did it just to "impress" Jodie Foster.
Damn!

3/31/2006 10:37 AM  
Blogger MrSpkr said...

Eighth grade in Broken Arrow, OK. I remember they announced it over the intercom, and most of my classmates were upset, save one. Kevin was a Democrat (whatever that meant in Oklahoma in 8th grade), so he cheered.

I slugged him. No one ever did a thing to me for it.

3/31/2006 2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home