Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Springtime Annoyances

Well, I had intended to make a nice little post about my day and some playing around I did earlier with M/S TerraServer trying to find my empire in the grainy satellite pics, but a funny thing happened on the way to the chicken coop tonight.
We've had some unusually warm (actually hot) weather for early spring here and that has caused the local buglife to bounce into high gear. Anywho just a bit ago as I went out to close the birds up for the night I thought I had stepped on a piece of glass. This is the country afterall and I do wander about with no shoes 99.3% of the time and these darn chickens with all their scratching do kick up the odd bit of debris. I felt under my left foot trying to find the chunk of glass-no glass shard, but my foot still felt like something was digging in, had a sharp needlelike throb to it. WTH?! It was then I put 2 and 2 together.
It was a wasp! Booger stung me right smack dab on the arch of my foot! Several times.

So I shut the birds up and quickly hopstepped back to the shack to get a glob of baking soda paste on this sting. I've been stung by wasps before and yellowjackets and hornets and the ubitquitous mud dabber with various results in the past so just to be on the safe side after the baking soda treatment I took a couple of Benadryl. The bottom of my foot has swelled up some and it feels like I'm walking with a tennis ball stuck to my arch but now the Benadryl is kicking in and I really don't care that I have a tennis ball stuck to my foot...I just wanna take a nap....like right now...................
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Oops, sorry about that...uh, I might have something tomarrow once I sleep this off!

5 Comments:

Blogger Lemuel Calhoon said...

I hate wasps. The little SOB's sleep throuhg the winter in the walls of my bathroom. After I showered the other morning I put on my t-shirt and one had crawled inside. The little bastard stung me on my arm.

Damn I hate them.

4/18/2006 11:02 PM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

The mud dabbers are always bad here. I think I have a crew that hangs out in the attic. The one that tagged me wasn't a dabber, though. I've gotten to where those aren't any more annoying that a skeeter bite, so this had to have been one with heavier ammo. It was kinda dark, so I didn't see just what it was.

I betcha that if the shower didn't wake ya up,that sure did! Damn! What a way to start the day!
I'm with you...I hate those buggers!

4/19/2006 8:08 AM  
Blogger Cookie..... said...

Ouch...both you and Lem certainly got whacked when least spectin it...I absolutely hates those damn buggers....got tons of the little bastards all around my house and yard. Sprays don't seem t'help much, commercial or professional. I really hope that neither of ya has an anaphalactic reaction....keep us posted....Cookie

4/19/2006 9:19 AM  
Blogger Kathy Keller said...

Awful! When I was 10ish I stepped on something in the grass after getting off the bus one spring and stripping shoes. My foot swelled and the arch swelled flat to the swollen foot. It was swollen, ha. Then it started to itch and sweat.

I hope you're not itching and sweating!

Sympathies from the other side of the highway.

4/19/2006 10:03 AM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Oh, I'm alright this morning. Except my left foot looks like it belongs to 75 yr. old diabetic gal with hypertension. It's all swelled up and I have no arch to speak of. I'm gimping, but it'll pass in a day or so. Then it'll start to itch like mad, as past enounters have proved.

4/19/2006 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home