Sunday, May 07, 2006

Eye Test


There's a bird in this picture.
It's a whippoorwill.
Can you see it?

This evening I heard the one that nests somewhere in the woods close to the bedroom window for the first time this season. Some people find their call annoying. I still love to hear it at dusk. We usually only have one that I know of. Some springs we have more. A very curious bird, often heard but rarely seen. The camoflage they sport almost secures that.
Wikipedia has this to say about them:

The Whip-poor-will's breeding habitat is deciduous or mixed woods across southeastern Canada, eastern and southwestern United States, and Central America. They nest on the ground, in shaded locations, among dead leaves, and lays usually two creamy eggs. This bird does not normally flush from the nest unless it is underfoot.

Northern birds migrate to the southeastern United States and south to Central America. Central American races are largely resident. These birds forage at night, catching insects in flight. They normally sleep during the day.

The Whip-poor-will is commonly heard but seldom seen; the name imitates this bird's call.


The only time I did have an up close and personal with one was when I was walking in that woods and just about stepped on her and her nest, just like it says in the article. She flew up with such quickness and with such a high pitched squealing racket it just durn near scared the bejabbers outta me and I hollared out loud too! I didn't step on the eggs, thank goodness! I would have felt real bad about that.
I think they got to be my most favorite bird around here. There's just something about their repetive call in the night that makes me feel good.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lemuel Calhoon said...

Around here the story told to children is that their call is a warning that someone is about to die.

5/07/2006 9:28 PM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Gosh, what a horrible superstition!
If that was the case me and everyone around me would have been dead a long time ago. : )

That's a shame it has such an ominous reputation. I can't recall hearing any tales like that here in the Ozarks.

5/07/2006 9:36 PM  
Blogger Joubert said...

As Peace Moonbeam says - cue birdies. I would love to hear what its call sounds like. We don't get them west of the Rockies.

5/08/2006 2:13 PM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Here's your cue!: )
I hope this link works for you. (copy n paste, I ain't hip to all that code crap.)

http://www.nenature.com/bird-songs/WhippoorwillCLO.ram

That takes ya straight to their sound file.
Some evenings that little bird we have in our woods can go over an hour, nonstop like that. So you can see where it might get on folks nerves after a while.

5/08/2006 3:47 PM  
Blogger Lemuel Calhoon said...

The audio link works for me. Some nights around here there will be a number of them calling out.

5/08/2006 6:03 PM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Some springs and summers it can be a real hootinnanny.Sometimes it seems they even time it so it's a neverending round!
Glad the link worked. regular webpages I got down pat, I'm always alittle hinky about any other file.

5/08/2006 7:00 PM  
Blogger Cookie..... said...

Years back me and the Mrs had a summer home in the northern Adirondacks and every night we had a Whippoorwill calling outside the bedroom winder....its real soothin call it is...sang us t'sleep almost every night.....

...and...they've scared the livin B'Jesus outta me when I'm hunting...so I know what ya felt Liz....

5/09/2006 9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home