Thursday, June 22, 2006

Free Speech TV

Yesterday I overslept; Today I didn't sleep enough. Hate when that happens. I was wide-eyed and bushy tailed at 4: friggin' 30 AM!!

I have a tv in my bedroom, something I strongly resisted doing for most of my life. But when my husbands' health began to wane and he began to spend more time there, I got a little 14' tv and hooked it up along with a spare vcr we had so that on his bad days, he could be amused. It got alot of use. But after he was gone it had become pretty well entrenched and the tv stayed.
Now the stupid thing lulls me to sleep. Another bad habit, so I am told. That might explain my weird sleeping patterns, as well. How can my subconscious completely disengage when it's being bombarded by the nattering of an infomercial at 3:12 in the morning?

Anyway, while flipping through the channels last night trying to find something suitably dull enough to conk me out I wandered onto Free Speech TV. I go over there now and then just to see how weird the rest of the world is and they do on occasion run that documentary on Waco that I find interesting, but have never seen from start to finish-just huge blocks in between. The network though for the most part is for comic relief for me. They take themselves sooooo seriously there and what few attempts at humor I've witness can only be categorized as just plain mean and uncreative. (Like a grown up version of a toddler's rant: "Oh yeah? Well...you're just a big poopyhead!")
But I can only stomached it in small blocks at a time, the programming for the most part gets too weird...even for me. But it is a charming resource to see just what is going on in the big wide wacky world of the "Progressive".
Most of the time it's just a better funded version of those cable public access channels, where anyone could be a star and production values be damned! Reminds me of PBS in the early '60's.

The latest thing there in heavy rotation is a lecture about the World Trade Center and 9/11. The guy giving the presentation is a physics phd., Steve Jones he teaches at BYU. Ahhh geez, dime to doughnuts-Mormon. He is.
Nothing against them...I know alot of Mormons, for the most part they are nice folk.
But this poor guy has no public speaking skills at all. Sure he might be able to crank out a paper eluding to some conspiracy about the precise nature of why the towers fell and back it up with all manner of eggheady numbers and measurements, but dude! I felt uncomfortable just watching him struggle with this lecture. He hemmed, he hawed, he interjected nervous laughter...alot. He made feeble attempts at jokes. For a professor who should be comfortable speaking at the front of a room, this guy clearly was out of his element. His lecture went all over the place, he seemed even confused at just where he was in the outline. Maybe it was nerves due to the fact his lecture was being taped...I dunno. If this guy is the leading expert of all those 9/11 conspiracy theories floating around out there-Oy Vey! I couldn't even follow what the hell he was trying to say.

I gave up watching after about an hour. He was making me too uncomfortable...like watching a fly caught in a spider's web.
I zapped over to Discovery and dozed off to Mythbusters trying to make a trebuchet out of a cherry picker boom for the umpteenth time.
Anyway, some time if you're not too concerned about an hour or so of your life that you'll never get back and your satellite or cable has it-check out Free Speech TV.

4 Comments:

Blogger Walker said...

I had to take a sleeping pill last night because right before bed, I read about another exercise in free speech. The one where the hapless high school kid wants to thank Jesus and the ACLU is on hand to make sure the mike is turned off when she tries.

Christianity is illegal in the U.S.

6/22/2006 8:42 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Thanks but no thanks, WTR... I think that would drive me nuttier than I already am! ;)

The sleeping with the tv on thingy... I think it's company. My oldest daughter lives alone in Austin and usually falls asleep with the tv set on. I don't know how she does it, but she says she can't sleep unless it's on. So you are definitely not alone in being able to sleep with the sound. As for me, I've always needed complete and utter silence.

6/22/2006 2:52 PM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Walker, I had heard something about that incident and it made me angry.I don't know all the details, but iffen it had been me-I would have kept right on going!
But then again, I was blessed with a REALLY loud voice that carries clear across a 30 acre hayfield. Don't need no mike!

6/24/2006 8:58 AM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Gayle,
You need utter silence? How do you manage that? The boonies in Texas are just about as noisy at night as here I 'spect. (Coyotes, crickets, cicadas, owls,the occasional 'coon hunting dog,etc.)The right time of year our "peace n quiet" can be just as loud as any city!
: )

6/24/2006 9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home