Friday, September 01, 2006

Vegas 'Showgirls' or Just Some Weird Chicks?

A recent human interest story in our local weekly got my attention. It was about a gal and her prize winning chickens and her farm where she keeps quite an array of poultry.
Most of the breeds mentioned I'm familiar with but there was a mention of an experimental breed that was unknown to me.

They call them "Showgirls", a cross between Turkens (a.k.a. Naked Necks) and Silkies.
Turkens are those freakish butt ugly chickens that have no feathers on their necks, giving them a dwarf buzzard appearence. Silkies, on the other hand are the Pomeranians of the poultry world. Small, delicate and covered from head to foot (literally) with soft thick down, rather than the usual feathers. They are popular with breeders and I will admit, they are cute, but they are high maintence- the logistics of trying to keep their downy bodies fairly clean make them impractical from a rough and tumble, earn your keep viewpoint. Not yard bird material.

Anyhow, somebody somewhere got the idea to try and cross the two and see what happens. The results have been most peculiar and the popularity of this "new" breed is growing. The name, of course, comes from the fluffy 'topknot' on their heads, reminescent of the gawdy feathered Vegas showgirl costumes- the headpieces in particular. Here's an excellent example of the breed:



I dunno about y'all, but honest to God- if I had a flock of these things wandering about the grounds, I'd be laughing my ass off all the time and never get a thing done!
(I think I saw something like this in a cartoon, once!)

5 Comments:

Blogger Lemuel Calhoon said...

Foghorn Leghorn after he stuck his beak in a lightsocket.

9/01/2006 8:30 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

ROTFALMAO! It's a poodle chicken! Too funny! :lol:

9/01/2006 11:56 PM  
Blogger Joubert said...

"Not yard bird material." And let's face it, they wouldn't be nearly as funny kept in a cage. Part of the fun would be watching them fall face first into a mud puddle. They'd soon look more like water-rats than poodles. I bet little girls in 4H and FFA love them though - blow-drying them and putting ribbons round their scrawny necks. :)

9/02/2006 9:49 AM  
Blogger lilfeathers2000 said...

High maintence girls I would say.

9/02/2006 9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I had chickens, I would want them to look like this! How cute.

9/03/2006 6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home