Friday, September 21, 2007

MUST SEE TV / TIVO ALERT


Lissen up, all y'all..."Hillbilly: The Real Story", a 2 hour program about our oft maligned subculture airs this Sunday nite !! (7 pm CT, 8 pm ET)

Hosted by Billy Ray Cyrus, who has finally rid himself of the mother of all mullets, but is still a homey and downright proud of his heritage. So hopefully this won't be a stereotypical slack jaw inbred booger eating moron take on us.

Personal note: Billy Ray grew up in the very same area and town in northeast Kentucky as my Dad. I saw Cyrus recently in an interview talking about his hometown and it tickled me to no end. I kept saying "Yep, I've been there!", "I know where that's at!" having spent most of my childhood summers at my gran'ma's there in Ashland, Ky. The younguns thought that was purty cool-just a few degrees of separation 'twixt me and him. Of course, Billy Ray's career is getting a second wind, thanks to the Disney channels popular 'tween' show, "Hannah Montana", in which he plays the dad. His for-realsies teenage daughter has the title role. That show is big at our house with the younguns.

Anyway, you know we'll be watching and any true blue hilljack n jill of the Hillbilly Ecosystem oughta be too!

4 Comments:

Blogger Fish-2 said...

I just finished watching the program. I knew some of the history, even about the mine riots but didn't know the origin of the name "Redneck". I wonder if Jeff Foxworthy knows that?

I love that kind of show. It's such an important slice of American history it should be shown in every high school in the Junior or Senior year. Thanks for tipping me off on this show.

9/23/2007 9:51 PM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

You're welcome, Fish!
I thought it funny that they addressed the moonshine topic right off the bat! Then rolled onto coal mining, Nascar, Pentecostal snake shakers (I was hoping they'd cover THAT)and some historical background on the origins of our people. (the whole Scotch-Irish thing)
However, bluegrass and bluegrass gospel only barely made the cut with a brief mention in the last 2 minutes!!
Quite curious, since the narrator, Billy Ray Cyrus is a C/W musician.
However, that being said I did learnt me a thang er 2 watching.

9/25/2007 8:41 AM  
Blogger Cookie..... said...

That was a most interesting show. I never knew until I watched it that the "Scots-Irish" had such a profound effect during the Revolutionary War. It seems that their attack re-kindled a spark in the war that the British could be beaten using differant military tactics....

9/25/2007 11:53 AM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

I thought that part was interesting too, Cookie.
The wild mountainmen of remote Virginia put down on paper their own 'declaration of independence' from Britan years before the rest of the colonies did was an eye opener, too.
I guess that explains why West Virginia came into being in part. I recall reading something about that years ago, but if that was mentioned in the show, I missed it.
(I'm such a 'tard! I've just now realized I didn't say WHAT channel this show was on in my original post!! Jeez, I hate when that happens!)
It's on the History channel, and judging by the schedule, there'll be many repeats, if y'all missed it the first time around.

9/25/2007 12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home