Monday, October 15, 2007

And So It Begins...

First Baby Boomer Files For Social Security Benefits

WASHINGTON — Kathleen Casey-Kirschling filed for early retirement Monday, becoming the first baby boomer to start collecting Social Security.

Born one second after midnight in January 1946, the retired teacher leads the way for as many as 80 million individuals who will qualify for the retirement payout.

"I think I'm just lucky to be at the top of the boom. I'm just one of many many millions and am blessed to have been in this generation and really blessed and to take my Social Security now," Casey-Kirschling said during a ceremony held at the National Press Club featuring Social Security Commissioner Michael J. Astrue.

Casey-Kirschling said she supports anyone who wants to collect retirement benefits whenever he or she is eligible to take them. But many Washington officials and American workers are wondering if Social Security will be able to support them.

The rest at Fox News.com


Yes, Kathleen, I'm sure you're tickled pink. Enjoy it while it or you last. As for the rest of us who are in the ass end of the Boom, we'll be lucky to buy a pack of cigs and a pop with our share when it's time. I count myself lucky that took things into my own hands and am funding my retirement with my own dime and won't have to rely on the gub'mint Ponzi scheme. But damn, there will be so many who aren't so fortunate.



Totally Unrelated Observation: This marks post number 666 on this blog. But now that I think about it, maybe there is a connection.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joubert said...

I just heard today on Fox (you probably also heard it) that Congress has "borrowed" 3 trillion dollars out of the SS fund over the years. Can we track down all the pols who voted to spend it and sue them to get it back?

10/16/2007 12:53 AM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Ha! Sure...after we can nail the lot of them for treasonous acts as well. Either one ain't gonna happen. Wishful thinking.

The article I linked to has some interesting remarks further down by the general comptroller about the weaselry that has been going on for decades with the dough. I should have included those. But it's mostly the same stuff we've been hearing for the past 15 years or so. At least we've been hearing it...there's a deafness problem in DC.

10/16/2007 7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home