Saturday, March 11, 2006

I Love Spring, But-

I can't handle the atmospheric instability that goes with it. We always get these monster storms that always veer out of control.
As I type this we have yet another Tornado Warning- this puppy's close enough to make me nervous. They're saying it'll blow past to the northeast of us...just barely. It has already trashed part of Branson. I hear thunder and the sky is purty dark. No basement. This place is my castle, but it's times like this I feel very vunerable. Geographically, we're in a low spot, so that has always worked in our favor. I don't know if that's a myth or not, but it's gotten pretty crazy here before and we've always squeaked by with just some tree damage. We got one possible safe spot in the house, and if we all hold our breath it's just barely big enough to accomodate us all (dogs included).

So I best be going. Check the local updates as long as the tv works and get ready in case we have to shift into "Oh Crap" mode!
Jeez, I hate tornadoes!
Wish us luck-it's gonna be a bumpy night!


UPDATE: The worst has passed for now. Springfield got smacked like a red headed step child. But we're in the clear for now. We now return to our regularly scheduled blogging.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lemuel Calhoon said...

Your town should consider setting up a dummy trailer park a mile or two out of town. It will decoy the tornados away.

3/11/2006 9:21 PM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

That's worked in other communities, I hear.

We got some hail late last nite and it really poured. Woke my younguns up.
But no more craziness of a tornadic sort. But we still have this evening, it'll fire up again, I betcha.

3/12/2006 3:32 PM  
Blogger Lemuel Calhoon said...

My family moved from Asheville to Chicago when I was nine. Up until that time the only thought I had ever given to tornados was the yearly showing of "The Wizard of OZ" on CBS. I had never heard of a tornado watch or warning.

A few years later we moved back to Asheville and every spring brought tornados. I wonder what happened.

Granny Calhoon thought that building the interstate highway through the Cumberland Gap allowed the bad weather to come south. She also believed that one of her neighbors was a warlock and put the evil eye on her so we didn't pay too much attention to her.

But at least she had a theory.

3/12/2006 7:05 PM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Ma Bradley would always say it "wuz them thar men goin' to the moon" that messed the weather up.
And then add under her breath: "I don't think they really went there anyway. Iz all pre-tend."

Until I moved here many moons ago, my only frame of reference was Wizard of Oz, too!
Were under a Tornado Watch right now-don't get too worked up about those. It's the Warnings I pay attention to.

3/12/2006 9:46 PM  
Blogger Fits said...

Gadzooks, but I know all about terrible weather. Was in the mid-80's here today and don't you know but I hadn't a thing to wear with this new holster I'm breaking in.

3/12/2006 11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home