Wednesday, April 26, 2006

"Chocolate Jesus"

This morning I had to go over to the church and help with sorting out books for the library. Somehow along the way I had been appointed "librarian" (see what happens when you don't attend church board meetings!).
I don't mind the job, the library is in pitiful condition, full of old ancient books and "Gospel Trumpet" tracts that date back to the 30's that no one will or has read and has been pretty much demoted to a storage room. Our pastor's vision is to get it back to a real library, with relevant material that our congregation just might take an interest in. So, today we started the project, which will take quite a while, but I too, can envision a nice, tidy and well stocked library when we're done. I'm actually kinda jazzed about it.

Anywho, while we were sorting, the 3 of us (myself, the pastor and another lady) got to talking about old hymns and how some of the lyrics confused us as children. I had my story about "Bringing In The Sheaves"- I had always thought it was "bringing in the sheeps" and the pastor had a similar tale, only with her it had been "bringing in the sheets" and she had wondered as a kid what in the world laundry had to do with it.

But the other gal has us beat with her story. And I have to admit, I will never, ever be able to hear that hymn again now without busting up.
It had to do with that really good ol' gospel song: "Have a Little Talk with Jesus".
Her sister, as a child, would always sing it as : "Well, let us have a little chocolate Jesus, let us tell Him all about our troubles... Just a little chocolate Jesus makes it right."

I was laughing so dang hard I dropped a stack of books on my foot and about busted a gut...and now I can't get that version of the song outta my head!
And what really amuses me even more is that I was able to find a pic of a real 'chocolate Jesus' to go with this post!

5 Comments:

Blogger Joubert said...

I thought you still had a dining room to finish and now you're galivanting around the church.

Did you ever sing the hymn:

"Shall a mother's tender care
Fail towards the child she bear?"

Of course I always thought it was "she-bear" and wondered WTF?

Or "Christmas evil find you..."

4/27/2006 12:58 AM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

LOL...those are good! I think it's so funny now as adults we can look back on things we mis-heard as kids and see the humor in it.
The one sounds like the makings of a Kipling story. ("Namri, the Child She-Bear")

Oh, don't even get me started about the dining room! I so needed a break from it yesterday. Gotta go at it again today.

4/27/2006 7:10 AM  
Blogger Cookie..... said...

Havin been raised Catholic...we didn't sing much...so when I first heard, "Bringin in the sheaves" (at about 6 or 7 yo)...I thought it was "Cheese".....

4/27/2006 9:18 AM  
Blogger Cookie..... said...

P.S. Love the Chocolate Jesus story....

4/27/2006 9:19 AM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Cheese???
Oh, now that's good, Cookie! I've never heard that word attributed to confusion about that song. Sheets and sheeps seem to be the most common.
But I like that!
"We shall come rejoicing- bringing in the cheese"
Yeah, that works! : )

4/27/2006 2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home