Thursday, May 11, 2006

"How High's the Water, Mama?"


Whenever it floods here, that old Johnny Cash song comes to my mind.

Since our road is still too flooded and trashed for the school bus to get through I took my younguns in this morning via the escape route. That's the back way to our place and since it starts in another county, our school bus doesn't go that way when things get weird like this. We're on our own. So I took the camera along to take some pics on the way back home.

You can't read the flood marker on this bridge sign, but when it looks like this...it's safe to assume you ain't getting across!

Keep in mind that this is a good 24 hours after it quit raining and the water had time to run off some. I imagine yesterday morning it was 10 times worse!



This is a view upstream. These pics are of the Bryant Creek. In the summer this spot is our favorite swimming hole. It looks purty nice from this angle and then you pan to the right and this is what you see...



In the summer, local kids love to dive off the bridge there into the creek. A drop of about 6 to 8 feet, depending on how dry it's been. Trust me...there is a bridge somewhere under that water!

3 Comments:

Blogger Cookie..... said...

Man Liz...y'all have had quite a week...Copperheads, Floods...Cleanup...whats next...ooops...sorry I asked. I imagine the weekend is lookin real good fer some "down time" about now...Cookie

5/11/2006 2:53 PM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Believe me, Mr., I've been thinkin' the same thing! You know, it gets so mundane and quiet here I think The Big Guy just throws this stuff at me to keep me on my toes!

5/11/2006 3:02 PM  
Blogger Joubert said...

That's just astonishing. But it does look beautiful. I'm jealous. It seldom gets warm enough to swim in our creek but then it doesn't flood either.

5/12/2006 11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home