Thursday, July 06, 2006

Tube Tied



I know alot of folks are out there giving Senator Stevens grief for showing his somewhat unbelieveable ig'nerce out loud and on the public record about how that new fangled innernets thingy works. And rightly so, because it is friggin' embaressing. But hey, he's an old guy. I read the following posts and the one on Wired that started it and I'm reminded of how I once spent an hour trying to explain to my Dad how the VCR worked. He did eventually master it...and could even keep the clock set on it. But computers? Fudgitaboutit! He never could get it.

BUT the major difference twixt my Dad & the senator is that Dad was a private citizen....Stevens is an elected personage and therefore should get some learning before opening his yap in public! Especially when arguing either for or against proposed legislation when he has not a clue how the whole system in question works!
But it is funny, if only in a tragic way. I think anybody who has tried to explain new tech to their parents or grandparents can relate to his babblings.

We could send Stevens some "Video Professor" discs!

Wuzzadem weighs in as does the Rottweiler on Stevens gaff.
(brain cross section pic blantantly swiped from Wuzzadem.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Gayle said...

Well, it just sort of depends on the brain capacity one starts with, I think. After all, I'm a 65 year-old grandmother and computers aren't a mystery to me. I do have a problem figuring out the left however! ;)

I had a heck of a time explaining how a template works to my 19 year old daughter, btw. So you just never know. I love the picture, especially the part that says "Brain cord. Keeps brain from flying out of head." ROTFALMAO!

7/06/2006 3:15 PM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

The brain cord line cracked me up too, Gayle!
I don't claim to be a total geekoid, but I do have some inkling about how this thing all works. Now, the wiring schematic for my house is another thing altogether!
I think po' old Mr. Stevens is just one of them guys who only knows just enough to access his email-the rest he just imagines or has seriously misunderstood!
I've had to deal with folks in my website sideline that don't have the first clue as to what they are doing and have to have me walk them through to even finding their new site online-and some are my age or younger! Seems alot don't know the diff between an email address and a URL! They think it's the same thing.
I've gave thought to tacking on a "nuisance fee" for those types-I just thought it was because of where I live, not alot of folks are hip to computers around here, but Stevens has shown that computer illiteracy is everywhere.

BTW-I had no idea you were that age, Gayle! Had it in my mind you were 50-ish. Mental age and physical age are 2 different things!

7/06/2006 4:24 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

I was thinking Gayle was 40ish. You write young, Gayle!

Re, Stevens: Huh?

I know he calls me for tech support all the time.

He's one of those people who I make fill out a form for tech support because if I have to actually TALK to them on the phone, the first thing I do is refund their money because, after I speak to them, they will want their money back anyway, so we might as well cut to the chase.

7/07/2006 9:46 AM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Bingo, Walker-"you write young" that's what I was trying to say, you put it much more sucinctly.

LOL...How's that old saying go? 'Those of you who THINK you know what you're doing make it much more difficult for those of us who do!'

7/07/2006 10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home