Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Back to "Normal"

"Today is Aug. 23rd, Do you know where your Imam is?"



We got our annual missed the schoolbus crisis over and done with this morning. A little early in the school year this time, since the younguns have only been back for about a week now. It normally happens sometime in October or November. This time the triple failsafe collapsed on all levels- my youngest failed to set her alarm, my eldest drifted of to slumber without setting her alarm and even myself, the bastion of stability, routine, reliability and regularity even overlooked pulling the stem on my clock en route to the bed after my nighttime oblations. So when my eyes fluttered open at about 6:55 a.m. this morning and the realization that it was Wednesday, not Saturday hit about a nanosecond after, the household erupted in a mad scramble as I loudly shouted: OHCRAP!OHCRAP!OHCRAP! and leapt out of bed. This was instantly followed by shrieks of panic from the now wide awake spawn.

The bus was idling outside and politely tooted it's horn.

I quickly wrapped a robe around me and stepped outside to wave him on.
Dangit! I really, really didn't want to drive all the way into town first thing in the morning...but crap happens. But it is nice to know that my younguns can get dressed and ready for the day in less than 7 minutes if they have to.

************

The part time gig in town is going well, so far. The dance studio's year is getting off to a slow start, not a lot of registrations yet. That is cause for concern, but I hope once the school year gets settled in it'll pick up. Nothing makes you appreciate your own kids more than having to keep other people's kids in check.
An unspoken part of my job is to keep these unruly hoardes somewhat contained and controlled in the lobby while they wait for the folks to pick them up. One of the biggest instigators is, of course, the instructors own child. This fact is meaningless to me, I'll jump on his ass just as quick as any other kid there if he gets squirrelly-which he always does. Luckily, we'll only be blessed with his overwrought ADD antics one day a week.

**********

The 27th is the last Sunday of the month and that means I'm on tap to teach the adult class at church. Ugh. Here it is Wednesday and I'm just now cracking the quarterly open to study up on the lesson. Normally I get started on Monday. I've been draggin' my feet.

Once again, it's on Paul and Corinthians. That has been the focus for this whole quarter. It'll be a tough one for me, because at the risk of being labelled a blasphemous heretic, quite honestly I have a hard time getting worked up about Paul because I think he was full of baloney. I think too many Christians elevate him to almost Christ-like levels. That bugs me. I'm also of the opinion that he interjected too much of his own biases into his missives. He was just a guy who due to his prolific writings, divinely inspired or not, got lucky and made the cut.
And yet, entire demominations seem to hang their hats and salvation on what he says, not what Christ says.So that's my blind spot...my thorn in my side, to use his words. Once you get past the Gospels in the New Testament, my enthusiasm wanes. Why? Good question, I dunno. I'm a bad, bad believer, I reckon. If by some weird happenstance I get struck down with my own little road to Damascus epiphany any time soon, I may change my stance. But for now, Paul just don't trip my spiritual trigger like he does for so many others. I just have a time going along with the whole divinely inspired stuff, some of his writings could have been, but I remain ignorantly stubborn.

My real love is the Old Testament. I much prefer reading that than to about 75% of the New Testament. I think I can profess to being a Christian even though I doubt Paul's writings. It's called Christianity...not Paulianity. I believe the accounts of what Christ said and did and believe that He was the fulfillment of prophecies. Paul does deserve his props, afterall he suffered immensely for what he believed- had the crap beat out of him untold times, did a lot of time in the joint, suffered the scorn and hatred of his Hebrew brethern who considered him a traitor to his faith and culture and so on-one doesn't do that unless they are 100% about what they believe. And yet...I still can't get behind this guy.

Worse thing is-I really can't cite any particular chapter and verse to back my opinions about Paul. I guess it's just purely selfish obstinace. I just get sick of all the emphasis on the writings of this guy. Maybe I just ain't been taught right.
But, I'll keep my opinions to myself and go along with the program. I think can bite my tongue for an hour. Although, I just know I'll have to toss in some mild editorializing. Not enough to get the bluehairs up in arms. I do think some of his stuff has value-I just can't say I believe him on EVERYTHING, unlike so many of our Christian bruthas and sistahs.
Yeah, yeah...I know- delicatessen Christian. Picking and choosing what they like and discarding the rest. Not kosher. Oh well, maybe so. But that's my problem.

I don't think I'm gonna get burned at the stake for that.

We don't do that anymore, do we?

7 Comments:

Blogger lilfeathers2000 said...

Ahhhhhh the infaouse mad dash after missing the school bus. I remember those days.
Mine were generally followed a few days later with one of the chillens missing it homeward bound.

8/23/2006 1:28 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

ROTFALMAO! No, we don't burn people at the stake anymore, sweety. After all, we don't even execute people who need to be executed! We are civilized now (sort of).

"OH CRAP! OH CRAP! OH CRAP!" Now that's a very effective wake up call and one I can totally empathize with! lol!

8/23/2006 2:54 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I've always felt a little that way towards Paul, too.

Perhaps God used Paul, just to prove to us that He can use anybody. Paul was a pretty high an mighty guy before he got blinded on the road.

If a guy like Paul can make it to heaven... so can we. And then was can ask Paul why he was such a chauvinist.

And how about all those other people that you can hardly stay in a room with.... how are we going to handle it if they live next door.

Oh so many questions.... so much angst.

8/23/2006 10:45 PM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Lilfeather- Our problem has always been missing the bus in the morning. Luckily we've never had an incident for the trip home! But there's still a few years of school left! ; )

Maybe I was a little too knee jerky about Paul. I'm not saying his writings have no value whatsoever, he does have moments of brilliancy, but I think what I get hung up on is all his nit-picking on just how "the church" should be run and other commentary. And it's these passages that have been twisted, misinterpreted and abused even up to now.
OK, so I'm a hypocrit, so sue me. Like anyone else-I'm just a work in progress. There's always room for improvement.

8/24/2006 8:57 AM  
Blogger Joubert said...

Yes, Paul did write some brilliant stuff but I always felt he was a "church" bureaucrat and, not being a church person, I'm not fond of him.

8/24/2006 3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bingo on the Paul stuff.
Don't care for him or his writings at all. The "I believe this is what God wants" leaves me cold. Ahhh...well, I will just tell the truth...I don't believe any of Paul's writings.

I think everybody should read some of the Apocryphal books of the Old & New Testament at the very least, if not all.

I am an Old Testament reader also.
Going to leave it at that as I can get to far into Religion to fast. Take Care,
Missy Buster

8/26/2006 12:13 PM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Wow, now that was interesting!
Perhaps I'm not some lone voice in the wilderness about Pauly boy, afterall.
"church bureaucrat"- that's perfect, Patrick. I think that's what I was trying to say.
(12 years conversing with little kids & hillbillies will trash your once extensive vocabulary.)

8/26/2006 10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home