Monday, November 13, 2006

A Breach of Etiquette?

Between the Marines anniversary and Veteran's Day this weekend, I wandered about the blogs and read all the posts and some comments on the topics.
There was a comment by someone on one of the usual blogs I visit that made me stop and momentarily feel ashamed at myself and it's still buggin' me!

I wish I could pull up the exact comment, but I can't find it now in my history. But simply it was a humorous accounting of just what will get your ass kicked for disrespect by any one in the military. It was pretty funny up to the end where they closed by saying that anyone who had never served in the military and used the words Jarhead, Squid, Grunt or any other slang word considered to be a term of endearment amongst those in the armed services would get their ass kicked by a serviceman if used in their presence.

Huh?

I have and I my butt is still unkicked. Is it because I'm female?

I've never used it maliciously. When I was growing up that's the words that were used in my home. Those are phrases my Dad used. I don't think he ever called a Marine a Marine. They were Jarheads. And the Marine Depot downtown was the "jarhead factory". Cute funny names. No harm intended.
Squid is alittle new to me, though. Is that preferable to Swab now? Dad always used swabs or swabbies. So that's what I know.

As for the Coast Guard...I won't even repeat that one! And it was a phrase my Dad never used...I picked that one up from my brother. Now that one is ugly and malicious, no matter how or who says it! That one WILL get a bar brawl started, I would think.

So am I in the wrong? Have I been unknowingly insulting our guys (and gals...note to Pamela!) all these years by invoking those nicknames in conversation and here on this blog? If so, I am truly mortified.
I could cop a pass by saying I am the child of a serviceman. But technically I'm still a civilian. I do feel a kinship, though, by proxy.
If I'm in the wrong here I do sincerely apologize.

6 Comments:

Blogger Cookie..... said...

Ah Hell woman...I furgives ya...cause I knows a little somthin bout yur family background. Besides...anyone takes offence is mighty thin skinned. Now us Old Salts used t'call the Coast Guard..."shallow water sailors...if the boat sank they could still walk ashore". That was back then...now a days I got a whole lot more respect fer the Coast Guard...they've got a real tough job in this day & time...

Cookie...

11/13/2006 6:51 PM  
Blogger John R said...

As an ex squid, and a bubblehead to boot, I think you are good to go. Being a "military Brat" is your ticket into the club :)

Some folks use the words and don't know what the significance of the jargon. That can get irritating.

11/13/2006 7:09 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

let us know what you find out.

My hubby was a sailor (submariner) and he said he didn't know.

(He says when he was in Norfolk VA there were signs that said "Sailors and Dogs stay off the grass")

11/13/2006 10:01 PM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

I figured I was good to go, but the thought that somewhere somehow I might have been crossing the line of some unspoken rule had never occurred to me until I read that comment.
Funny what will bug ya. I felt really bad.

Cookie & JR-I had never heard the word "bubblehead" til recently (thru you, Cookie). I thought that was purty dang funny and I love it! Some really strange mental imagery is conjured with that nickname.

I really think that part of that guys comment might have been aimed at longhaired peaceniks, or something like that-but it just hit me all wrong.

11/13/2006 11:04 PM  
Blogger John R said...

Pamela;

Sounds like your hubby and I were in the Navy at the same time, the Carter years.

Reagan brought back "Pride and Professionalism" to the military, and those signs disapeared.

11/14/2006 11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Author, respect 2 you. Bookmark! :)


louis vuitton replicas
paycheck cash advance

quick payday

loan money personal quick

no fax payday advance loan

payroll cash advance

advance loan online payday

credit easy fast loan payday
emergency loan payday

home equity loan calculation

report and score free instant credit report

Good Bye!

11/29/2006 6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home