Friday, November 17, 2006

My kinda day!

Man, I love it when I see a profit without hardly doing a thing!
This morning I was sorting through some of Mom's things that my brother had sent me and I found her "treasure bag". It was just an old velvet drawstring bag that she kept her coin collection in. Mom fancied herself a collector of valuable coins. Truth is all she did was save anything that was of interest to her or coins and paper money she thought might be worth something. She didn't understand the finer points of collecting, like condition and rarity. But it made her happy, so what the hell.

There were gobs of Susan B. Anthony dollars (OMG!), handfuls of Eisenhower dollars, a bunch of silver Kennedy half dollars, some Liberty dimes almost wore bare, some red seal 2 dollar bills, bicentennial coins and some real live old silver dollars. Circa 1920-ish. And some Canadian pennies and nickles. Some chinese yen (maybe from Dad's Navy days) rounded it all out. Also tucked away in there were 2 big pieces of finished, matched jade that looked like they had been meant to be set in maybe a pair of earrings. Both were the size of nickles. Cool. No doubt a long ago gift from Dad.

So, just for the heck of it I thought I'd check and see if this oddball lot was worth anything. The Kennedy coins were only worth the silver value, barely a buck. The 1920 dollar coins were probably worth betwen 5 to 8 dollars, depending. Pretty much what I had expected. But seeing the spot price on silver on one site surprized me-I didn't know the price of silver had gone up. The last I had seen it was about 8 something an ounce. Now it was about 12 bucks! I knew I had some silver stashed away, so that led to another little house search to find it, since I couldn't remember how many coins I had.
Rummaging through the dresser drawers yielded no silver. (It's around here somewhere!) But instead, something even better!
Way in the back of a drawer I found an old bank drive-thru envelope.

In it was 150 bucks!!! One 50 and five 20's!
Thank ya Jeezuz! Hot Dog!
I never did that...but my husband was one to squirrel cash away.
Thanks, Babe!

After I recovered from my happy dance, the mail arrived. Since all the statements are out, I figured it would just be the usual credit card inticements and other junk.

Hot Dog again!
One of my dead beat clients FINALLY sent in their payment, with a little extra thrown in for me being "so understanding" according to their note. WooHoo!!!

So, without any effort on my part really I had just come out ahead by 250 bucks!
And the day wasn't even half over.

I need more days like this!

2 Comments:

Blogger Joubert said...

That's just terrific. Some of my best (and worst) dreams are about finding treasure in out of the way places. Such fun and then you wake up and - well, that's why they are also the worst.

11/17/2006 4:10 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Great. Every once in a while life just hands you a plum. I think that's one of the reasons I enjoy watching "Antiques Roadshow". Occasionally someone comes in with something they think might be worth a couple hundred bucks only to find out it's really worth two point six gazillion dollars.

11/17/2006 9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home