Sunday, December 10, 2006

Let Go of My Lego

A few pics of the big event yesterday.

My youngest's team got a medal for their presentation, but didn't garner any other trophies for it. However, at the final awards ceremony they did get the trophy for "Best Design" for their robotics! That was the next to last trophy to be awarded and youngest was in a sulk thinking that they wouldn't get anything since the awards were almost done. So she was caught completely off guard, but whooped and hollered the loudest as the team ran onto the floor to receive their trophy. Caught me off guard, too-I didn't even get a pic of it!
The tournament was held in a high school gym and was quite a production. Even had a big screen projecting the scores and view of the tabletops where the robots were going through their paces. There was music, light effects...jeez, you'd think it was the NBA the way everyone carried on, but it was a fabulous time for her and she's looking forward to next years tournament.

The main tournament tables
Another view, showing the big screen thingy. The yellow skirted table held all the trophies...all made from Legos!
Wow, that sure ain't a Crown Vic! They do things differently in the big city, I reckon.

My younguns posing at the Navy jet that is at the entrance of the school. Have no idea what kind it is, or why it's there. (There are no military bases any where near that city.) The only tie-in I could imagine is that the schools team is called The Bombers. But that's a pretty extreme way to show off school spirit!

The champion team this year was a group of homeschoolers or maybe they were church schooled. We never did find out which. But I'm leaning towards homeschooled. They all just had a certain focused manner and mature comportment about them that was so different than the gaggles of other public school kids there.


In keeping with the "New Direction" that our country is being forced into, next year's challenge will have to do with enviromental issues and renewable resources.
Gee, what a coinsidence! Boy I sure didn't see that one coming! (ok, I'm done being sarcastic.)
Any how, we brainstormed all the way home about how to approach that one. I don't know if it's allowed in the rules, but I said what would really be cool would be to have the power supply of their robot be solar or maybe run off a potato-like those dopey potato clocks you see in novelty stores. Anyway, it's a start. I'm sure it could be done if you had a brainy enough kid on the team and jeez, that would really get ya brownie points, I bet.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations from the Kellers!!!

12/10/2006 4:38 PM  
Blogger Lemuel Calhoon said...

The airplane is an A-7 Corsair. The Corsair was a US Navy carrier based attack plane (bomber). It entered service in 1965 and saw service through the first Gulf War. Corsairs were also part of the air raid on Lybia in which we almost killed Kadifi.

12/10/2006 10:19 PM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Thanks, guys!

And Thanks, Lem! I figured somebody around here would know!
Being a carrier jet would explain why it looked much smaller than what I'm used to seeing, I guess. I've heard the name, just didn't know what they looked like.

12/11/2006 7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home