Saturday, October 27, 2007

More Contrived 'Noose' Paranoia

SHREVEPORT, La. -- "A noose found in a doctors' break room at LSU Health Sciences Center might be a piece of rope fashioned with a knot and a loop used to treat orthopedic patients, the head of the facility said.

After a maintenance worker found the rope on Wednesday, administrators at the hospital and medical school notified federal authorities because they were concerned the rope with loops on each end might have been placed in the break room to intimidate blacks.

But on Thursday, Dr. John McDonald, the hospital's top administrator, said the rope might be one used by surgeons to give traction to fracture patients.

To someone unfamiliar with medical procedures, the series of knots and loops could appear to be a hangman's noose.

University police are investigating how the rope got there and they will turn over their findings to the U.S. attorney's office and the FBI in Shreveport.

Since the Jena Six case made headlines, there have been a number of other nooses found in high-profile incidents around the country _ in a black Coast Guard cadet's bag, on a Maryland college campus, and on the office door of a black professor at Columbia University in New York."

linky

So, they have just broadened the definition of a hate crime noose to include lengths of cord, rope or ripped bedsheet with loops at BOTH ends. Wow.

That would kinda defeat the functionality of the thing wouldn't it? I mean, I ain't no college graduate and I don't get around much, but just how would an alledged hangman's noose work if a loop was at both ends? What is the message with something like that?
Oh! I get it! There were 2 nooses!!! That automatically means it was TWICE as BAD!!!
Nevermind....
Ain't it funny how the administrators' first reaction was to get a hold of the Feds?

4 Comments:

Blogger Lemuel Calhoon said...

I consulted my Klan edition of "Martha Stewart's Helpful Hints for Household Economy" and found this:

Slip each loop over the head of an African-American (get two of equal weight) and sling them over a rafter or stout tree limb.

Two for the price of one.

10/28/2007 10:58 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

oh no! I have one of those - but it is bright red. I am supposed to use it to strengthen my left ankle tendons and ligaments that were pulled when I broke my leg.

I definitely hate it too.

10/28/2007 11:11 AM  
Blogger Cookie..... said...

Damn Lem...ya beat me to the explanation...

BTW...I'm in bookstores all the time as I enjoy reading, but I gotta say, I've never seen that Klan edition ya talked about.

I put up a long post a few days back regarding the "Jena 6", and what one of the local reporters discovered after REALLY investigating the incident objectively....

10/28/2007 2:07 PM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Oh! So it's kinda like them sneakers I see tied together and thrown over a powerline? OK. I get it now.

That particular edition is always checked out at the library here, Lem. I heard some gals grousing about that at our Weds. Christian Fundie/ Klan Aux. seminar the other week.

Cookie- I posted about the myths, too. That story needs to get out!

Pam, better get those tendons in shape, toot sweet! At this rate ANYTHING with a loop will be a federal offense and subject to confiscation! (even yo-yos)

10/28/2007 2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home