Monday, November 26, 2007

'It beats sending them tubas.'

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - The sons of a late harmonica player want to pass along hundreds of his signature, pocket-size instruments to troops overseas.

Herb Shriner's 53-year-old twin sons, actors Wil and Kin, found about 400 vintage harmonicas in their father's warehouse near Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport. They considered donating the instruments to schools or to youth groups, but now want to send them to soldiers serving in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"It beats sending them tubas," Wil Shriner said. "They're pretty easy to pick up and play."

Herb Shriner and his wife died in a car crash in 1970. Shriner hosted a radio show, TV variety show and a game show.

The harmonicas were made by the Hohner Co. in Germany in 1949. Made of wood and brass, the blues harps are about 5 inches long and feature Herb Shriner's nickname, "Hoosier Boy."

"It's a gift to maybe lighten up a tough day. It just slips into the pocket," said Wil Shriner's wife, Rebecca Baughman.

via Yahoonews

Quirky, but yet a marvelous idea!

2 Comments:

Blogger Cookie..... said...

Thats really a great idea. I'm sure some of the troops will really enjoy the experience. When I was in the Navy, I'd play on patrols or in the barracks and alot of the guys really enjoyed it. I've played the harp since about age 7...and pretty good if'n I don't say so myself...and man...would I like to get my hands on one of those.

11/26/2007 8:49 AM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

I really hope they will do this and that the shipment passes security over there!
I'm familiar with Hohners "Hoosier Boy", but I had no idea of the origins.

11/26/2007 9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home