Friday, August 11, 2006

A Challenge for "Cookie"


Well, jiminny crickets, Cookie at the Cook's Shack took me up on that tag thing and his answers are amusing as I reckoned they would be. But he had to get a a good natured dig at me, saying my blog was "weird". Well, I haven't really posted anything lately that I could construe as weird but I just saw this and it it screamed "post me!"

So, Cookie...got any good recipes for THIS? :

Norway's Food Safety Authority has instructed a grocery store to close after finding ten year old mutton in the freezer section.

The local shop in Bugøynes, Finnmark in northern Norway also, unsurprisingly, lacked satisfactory hygiene routines, NRK (Norwegian Broadcasting) reports.

"They will have to get an internal control routine in place if they want their approval back, and it will have to be in writing," Anne Ingeborg Bye of the FSA told NRK.

The shop is still open since closure cannot take effect until the next inspection, but NRK spotted no signs of marked improvement. The station found pork ribs a year past their sell-by date in the store's freezer.

The locals were unruffled by the news. One customer said that no one had gotten sick from the shop's meat, and there was just too much "hysteria" around sell-by dates.

(This from a people who thrive on "lutefisk".)

From the Aftenposten news site.

My first thought was Is the meat 10 yrs. old or was the mutton sheep that age at slaughter? Makes a big difference. Well, maybe not...mutton's nasty no matter what! Just a matter of translation, I reckon.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cookie..... said...

Yupper...ya see WTR...that was just the first step in the "Aged- Gamey Mutton Recipe'"

The next step is to marinade it for three years...ya know...to kinda soften up the meat a touch. The recipe fer the marinade is super-secret...but I've heard that one of the ingredients is 100 proof Vodka...

...OK...then the third step is to hang the Mutton unrefrigerated fer one week on a tree outside...this "Game's" it up a little and gives it that very distinctive taste that many Scandenavians and Europeans like...specially the Fwench....and that's it....Good eatin folks...enjoy yur mutton....the Cookster...

8/11/2006 10:58 AM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Hmmmm, sounds like you've done this before, Cookie.

If I'm ever in your neck of th' woods, I may pass on that barbeque invite.
; )

8/11/2006 11:13 AM  
Blogger Cookie..... said...

Yupper...did it once...only ONCE. Didn't eat any myself (cause I don't like Mutton in any form) but I had to go to many various area hospitals to visit folks...and later...had to attend a few funerals after the BBQ....

All kiddin aside...I was in Scotland years back while in the Navy and had to eat so much mutton that just sayin the name mutton makes me ill.....

Did I answer yur challenge to yur satisfaction....??? Cookie....

8/11/2006 1:40 PM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Yes. Once again you went above and beyond, dear sir!

8/11/2006 1:58 PM  
Blogger Cookie..... said...

...Good Lady...I ALWAYS go above and beyond in EVERYTHING I do....;-)

8/11/2006 2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home