Friday, August 11, 2006

A "Mom-ism"

I know just the thing to lift my mood!
Another little funny story about Mom.
Israel being in the news brought it to mind.

Mom had a bad habit of getting her words tangled. Most times we all could translate in our heads what she meant, but it was for the most part pretty funny, anyway.
OK, here's the backstory set-up to this:
My folks were friends with a couple whose oldest son fell in love with a Jewish gal.
He converted, they got married and both wanted to move to Israel. His parents were cool with this, they loved their new daughter-in-law. The son's name was Alan. His mom's name was Charlotte. My Mom and Charlotte would talk almost every morning on the phone.

Dad came home from work one day and after changing into his afterwork wear (Navy PX t-shirt and sansa a belt shorts) he plopped into the sacred Laz-E-Boy and got busy looking over the evening paper. At some point he asked Mom, "So...anything new today, Ma?"

"Oh Yes!" Mom was chomping at the bit to tell him the news. "Charlotte called today and you know her boy Alan...? Well, him and his gal are gonna move to Israel next month and they're gonna go live in a hibachi !"

Just yet another time when I thought I was going to have to perform CPR on my Dad from him laughing so hard.

3 Comments:

Blogger Joubert said...

Too funny. MY mom was also a Mrs Malaprop.

8/11/2006 1:16 PM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Spoonerisms and malaprops always give me trouble. I can never keep straight which is which.
"Mardon me, Padon, but you're occapewing the wrong pie." That would be a 'spoonerism', correct?
It's wonder my Mom survived as long as she did. But she was a source of neverending amusement for the rest of us!

8/11/2006 2:04 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Coming in from a BUSY weekend... so trying to catch up on my fav blogs.
Your momism's remind me of the malopropisms that come out of the mouth of my bosses mother. We call them Ritaism's.
For instance... When my boss was going to the hospital to have her baby, she called all her friends to say that her daughter was being "seduced." And she was upset when she saw former president Clinton marching with all those "Gays and Libyans."
Our family was more of the Spoonerism gang... Wish we had written them all down.

Glad you have.

8/14/2006 7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home