Friday, August 04, 2006

Pig Sitting


It's been a flurry of activity here at the Laughing Dog Ranch.
Summer is drawing to a close, back to school is looming, the neverending remodel is finally making some progress.
It's VBS time, too and naturally, I got pressed into service. I've been busy with my job for the week-that of "drama director". Just a fancy term for the poor schlep that's in charge of skits. So I've been working on scripts, modifying costumes, hunting up props...Ah! Acting!
I grumble and complain, but really I do like the gig. It's just a little stressful.
Not the dealing with the all the kids daily-but it's the other adults cause me stress, some are very set in their ways and a loud and enthusiastic being, such as myself kinda blows their mindset.

But tonite is the last day, and just when I thought we all could sleep in for once on Saturday I got an email from my pal Kathy, formerly of Hicks, Hounds & Halachah and fellow Hillbilly Ecosystemite. Actually it was her hubby. They have to take off for a few days and would I mind coming over to the farm and make sure the critters are alright? He's primarily concerned about his pigs. He's got a pair he's raising for the smokehouse.
OK, no problem. I'm just down the road a piece and I'm not too proud to slop hogs...or feed cats and dogs and cows and guinea pigs.

Except he insists I sing to the hogs while I feed. The theory being that he is training them for when he turns them out into the pasture later on this year.This way all he'll have to do is sing out at feeding time and they'll come running. He has even provided me the tune and words I should use.

So whatever happened to just plain "Suuuuuuuu-eeeeey-pigpigpig!"?

Now Kathy's almost better half is a renowned joker. And even though I understand this Palovian type method and I actually have heard of people who do sing to their livestock, I can't help but be a bit skeptical in this case.

I will be sweeping the general hog area for any hidden cameras and/or microphones.

5 Comments:

Blogger Joubert said...

But you didn't say what song you have to sing to the pigs. Was it Oingo Boingo's Capitalist Pig?

8/04/2006 12:17 PM  
Blogger AB5SY said...

Here is hoping he has everything wired correctly and once you start signing it will activate the web cam for those of us here in cyber space. This I wantta see.

8/04/2006 4:02 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Now that takes the cake ----

Well I had a cat that would come when I whistled "Whats New PussyCat?

And the dairy farm down the road from my childhood home played FM radio music while they milked.

Hey.. you could accompany yourself with a little 'ham bone.'

8/05/2006 2:12 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I think he's pulling your leg, but yes... it would be interesting to know what song it is you are supposed to sing. (Too funny!) :)

8/05/2006 8:37 AM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

It's just alittle verse sung to the tune "Jimmy Crack Corn".
No obvious signs of any electronic surveilance equipment as of yesterday afternoon...and yes, I did sing, albeit halfheartedly and cautiously.

And Kathy...if you ever read this: Girl, y'all gotta do something about that washed out driveway! Da--um!
Got a flat from it!
Arrrrrggggh!

8/05/2006 12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home