Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Maybe We Should Just Call It "Non-Specific Deity-Mas"


Thanksgiving's over, so time to fire up the universal collective civic stupidity that we've come to know so well.

"CHICAGO — A public Christmas festival is no place for the Christmas story, the city says. Officials have asked organizers of a downtown Christmas festival, the German Christkindlmarket, to reconsider using a movie studio as a sponsor because it is worried ads for its film "The Nativity Story" might offend non-Christians..."

Via FoxNews, full article.

I don't claim to be a full-on biblical scholar by any means, but there's a passage in Acts that comes to mind here and it does come to mind almost every Christmas season lately for me.
Acts 17:23: (from the more looser, more "hipper" "Message" version)

"It is plain to see that you Athenians take your religion seriously. When I arrived here the other day, I was fascinated with all the shrines I came across. And then I found one inscribed, "To the god nobody knows". I'm here to introduce you to this God so you can worship intelligently, know who you're dealing with."

Yes, I know, it was the words of Paul, and I have in the past pretty much blown him off as a windbag-but in this case I think his observation is just as timely now as then.


It's time to break this puppy out for the season:


1 Comments:

Blogger Fish-2 said...

It always got to me shile living in Vegas. In the downtown Fremont Street Experience they could have the tree, Santa, elves, stockings, wreaths, etc. - and a huge Menorah but no Christian symbol, no creche, etc. Same thing at the airport. Obviously it isn't religion that's objected to this time of year, it's just Christ, Christmas, and Christian that's considered offensive.

11/28/2006 8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home