Thursday, January 17, 2008

Personal Rant- What's a gal gotta do?

Today is Thursday, right?
Thursday the 17th?
That's what I thought.
I even checked the clock thingy on my computer
and the info screen on the satellite TV.
Just to be certain.

You see I had 3 contractors scheduled to come over here
and shoot me some estimates for a major job I'd like to do.
One was to find out if we could do central air in this dump.
The other 2 were general carpenters.

The A/C guy was for 12:30- no show. Not even a call.
I had a carpenter coming out at 2 pm, again, no show. No call.
And another at 3 pm and here it is 3:30, still no word.

They all have cell phones.

I have just scratched off 3 companies off my very short list.
I have 2 other guys scheduled for this weekend.
I ain't holding my breath.

It's not like it's a piddly-ass job. After materials, it'll be a 5G or more
payday for just a couple of weeks work.
Now I know in the rest of the world 5 grand ain't nuthin' these days, but here
it's still a nice chunk of change.

Yeah, I'm pissed. This is totally unacceptable.
I could understand if it was Friday. On Fridays most carpenters around here are
laid out drunk. (believe me, I know how those guys are!)
But it's Thursday.

So WTF?

This is the third go 'round for me trying to get someone/ANYONE out here to give an estimate for this major remodel job.
I don't get it. My money's good. The job isn't overwhelming or impossible. I intend to pay fairly.
Why the hell do they continue to pay for advertising for work if they really don't want it, or need to work?

I'm beyond frustrated...I'm at screaming and kicking the dog level.

What this county needs are a few good Mexicans.

6 Comments:

Blogger Cookie..... said...

Well there's yur problem Missy...ya set the appointments fer Thursday...that's the day they get an early start fer Fridays drinkin. Ya gotta set the appointments fer Tuesday...that's when their hangovers are gone and they're startin to get thirsty again....take it frum an old recoverin drunk... ;-)

1/17/2008 5:56 PM  
Blogger Tapline said...

WTR, Good example of where Building Trades people come from. I have the same problem Here in Maine.....They come when they want to or do not come and do not call. They are completely independent and get more per hour that a professional salaried person. I don't get it and I've run into the problem here in my home and also at my Camp located 200 miles from here down the coast. Exact same problem. I dont get it.....Sooooooo welcome to the club......stay well.....

1/17/2008 10:51 PM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Cookie, Those SOB's set the day when I called them! I was flexible as to time and steered that part of it.

Tap, I reckon I'm just spoiled. For 20 of my husband's 42 years he was a carpenter and for 10 years while we were married I was the bookkeeper and secretary (or Sexy-tary, as he called me.)for his biz. He NEVER treated a client or potential client like this! If he set a time, he was there or me or him would call the client if there was to be a delay and he never blew off a job just because it was small-half a loaf's better than none, he'd say.
I've been trying to get work done around here for 5 YEARS! And I've always got the same treatment. I guess I'm the dope for thinking that most guys around here did biz like he did.
I could handle the framing, floor refinishing and siding myself, but the thought of manhandling those 4x10 slabs of sheetrock alone kinda scares me! But it may come to that.

1/17/2008 11:16 PM  
Blogger Cookie..... said...

All kiddin aside...and I mean this...offer to supply the beer as well as the money...I know that usually wurked back when I was drinkin...or today...when I need sumthin done around here...try it!

1/18/2008 8:41 AM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

HA!
Cookie, that's why our house is still only HALF painted! Hubby let the helpers get into the brewskis too early and by afternoon they were too hammered for ladder work!

1/18/2008 8:52 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

I don't know about Cookie's advice, experience notwithstanding. I clearly remember the day when my father hired a fellow whose motto was "Get Plastered With Johnnie." And... that's exactly what my father did. Judging from the look of the ceiling, Johnnie took his motto seriously too.

1/18/2008 10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home