Monday, November 06, 2006

That Light at the End of the Tunnel is an Oncoming Train

24 hours to go.
My prediction?
Rampant voter fraud on a scale that this country has never seen. It'll be mayhem right out of the gate. All the factors are there for a Perfect Storm. Electronic voting-which has known inheirent problems, and no set standard. Dead voters still on rolls, which are being exploited. Unspeakable weaselry going on everywhere...and that's just the issues we know about NOW. Lord knows what sort of hijinks will be revealed as tomarrow unfolds. And I'm just talking Kansas City and St. Louis.

What really pisses me off is that MY vote- my friggin' God Given sacred right as a citizen of this country- will be marginalized, trivialized, bastardized, and possibly, very well wasted in these elections. I have not lost hope on the process. It's the amoral weasels who game the process that have my utmost comtempt.
They have reduced it to a high school Homecoming King and Queen election, where stuffing the ballot box is encouraged and the results are relatively meaningless.

I also see it as a test run for how the elections in 2 years will go. Let's get the trickery down, let's see what and what not we can get away with.
Conversely, though, if things do go badly and it most certainly will, then it will be a call to make an honest effort to "fix" what went wrong. But in doing so, I fear it will just force the weasels to get even more creative with the cheating.

I'm not worried about the elections on a local level. Here, in the land that time forgot, we still have paper ballots that are fairly idiot-proof. Just ink in the oval. Pretty straight forward. Never been a problem. OK, so we may not have an accurate tally until midnight, but what's the hurry? At least we know it's an accurate count. No "hanging chads", no electronic screw-ups with shakey software or touchscreens that even the election officials can't even comprehend how to operate, let alone correct when someone messes up and has to restart.
Our microwave mentality will be the death of us. All these innovations in voting technique have not a damn thing to do with accuracy. It's all in the name of NOW, NOW, NOW! We want the results NOW! Not 6 hours from now, not 3...NOW!
Our impatience as a society has led to this.
It sucks and that's sad.

But I'll be there. I'll show up at the old church house at the resort. Go through the motions of proving who I am to the guys behind the folding table, even though they have been my neighbors for over 20 years. Chit chat for a bit, ask about the turn-out so far, sign the book, get my big paper ballot, and my "I Voted!" sticker, go over to a table with a tri-folded red, white and blue cardboard shield atopped it, so you can openly, yet privately mark the ballot and do what I have done since I was 18.
Vote.

Because I can. Because it is my duty. Because my conscience demands it.
Y'all do the same.
Don't let the bastards get ya down.

2 Comments:

Blogger SecondComingOfBast said...

Me and a bunch of buddies wil be going out to vote tomorrow over in Covington, WTR, if we notice anything that looks like shenanigans going on when we get to the polling stations I'll give you a full report. We won't be able to hang around Covington for long though, we have to make sure we make it to Lexington before the polls there close.


But hey, if we make an early enough start, we should be at Covington by the time they open, and may be able to even swing through Louisville and still make it to Lexington. Wish us luck.

11/06/2006 9:49 PM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

Weaselry: pertaining to or describing the despicable behavior or actions of dishonest, loathsome weasels.
: )

Pagan-
I have reported you to the proper authorities.
; )

11/06/2006 10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home